- Winter weather can cause temporary disruptions in the supply chain. Properly securing loads can take additional time as truckers will need to wait for dunnage or tarps to thaw.
- Some regions in the U.S. have experienced below freezing temps (and wind chill advisories), which can create additionally maintenance to keep batteries running and engines warm, slow travel (due to icy road conditions), etc.
- Port Houston shut down last week (15th-16th) due to poor weather conditions.
- As of January 22nd, the national average price of diesel is $3.838.
- Seeing a 2.5 cent decrease, compared to the week prior.
- Charleston ports continue to invest in rail to help with growth in the Southeast.
- CSX railroad was named the intermodal service “top performer” for the second year in a row.
- The railroad was voted on by shippers and intermodal marketing companies that took part in a survey that was conducted by the Journal of Commerce. The survey took place between September 1st and October 31st.
- Rail capacity continue to be plentiful and rail transits are continuing to be at five-year averages, some even higher.
- Transport Canada is proposing a change to the Transportation of Dangerous goods regulation (TDGR).
- Still under review but could create cost increases for companies in how they handle DG imports, new equipment investments or training employees for regulation compliance.
- Some amendments in the proposal include: enhancing buffer car requirements, strengthening emergency response assistance plan requirements, aligning regulations with other federal rules on transportation of DGs, and more.