Norfolk Southern Releases 12-Month Progress Report on Ohio Derailment
February 3rd, 2024 marked the one year anniversary of the train derailment in East Palestine, Ohio. Now, Norfolk Southern has released a report on their progress in the past 12 months.
“We’re now focused on our long term initiatives to address health concerns, protect home values, and safeguard area drinking water. [and the economic development of the community],” NS said in a statement.
NS has committed more than $103 million to East Palestine, Ohio and the surrounding areas. NS has also:
- Provided $500,000 in a grant for economic development
- Broke ground on the First Responder Training Center in East Palestine, which will be used as a regional asset
- Completed the initial intensive phase of environmental remediation and announced the next phase of their community assistance program
For more details you can read the progress report, here.
Weekly Rail Traffic for the Week Ending January 27th, 2024:
- For the week ending on January 27th, total rail traffic was 467,222 carloads and intermodal units – up slightly at 0.7 percent from the same time last year.
- U.S. weekly intermodal volume was 259,091 carloads and trailers – up 10.1 percent, per AAR data.
- Petroleum and petroleum products plus motor vehicles and parts saw increases from this time last year. Coal, non-metallic minerals, and grain all posted decreases.
- For the first four weeks of this year, North American rail volume was 2,431,427 carloads and intermodal units – down 4.2 percent.
You can check out other rail news from previous weeks, here.